Different Types of Poetry

Hello! In today's blog, I'm going to unveil some different poems that I learnt at school. Poems, I think, are a great way to express yourself. While making poems, I find the process of writing them really fun. So let's get started!

Haikus

Haikus originated from Japan. Haikus are short line of poetry, but that's not all. There are a few compulsory rules that need to be followed by making haikus;

1. There are only three lines in a haiku

2. The first line needs to have 5 syllables, the second line 7 syllables and the last line is 5 syllables

3.There are no more than 17 syllables in the whole poem

Now, you might be wondering by Rule 2. That's what makes haikus more challenge to compose. But if you want an even bigger challenge, then when you're writing, you shouldn't give away what you're writing about. Like, for example:

                                                         Books
                                                     Fun, imaginative
                                                  Not only paper or ink
                                                    But quite creative

Notice that my poem about books didn't had the word "books" in it. That's because it's just an extra challenge you could do when making haikus. But other than the three other rules I'd just mentioned, be creative. Let your imaginations run wild. With just three lines of poetry, a mere 17 syllables in total, you could write lots of things. My tip is try using big words, but balancing them with words that have 1 or 2 syllables. This could make your poem be more interesting.

Millions list poem

This is quite a very intriguing poem idea. Judging based upon the title, my interest is piqued. I bet your interests are piqued too. This poem consists of 8 lines. Here's an example of one.

A million is raindrops trickling down my window from the dark, menacing sky

The buzzing bees that collect nectar from thousands of flowers in the warm, delicate spring time.

The chills that shiver down my spine that give me the creepy-crawlies on icy winters.

The leaves that fall off from bare trees at autumn.

The countless of times where I've stopped and look to let a gush of wind sweep up to to my face.

The many times during summer time when the sun always blinded my sight.

The endless times of comfort when I put a warm blanket on when my body is shaking.

A million is the infinite times seasons always change.

Now, what do you notice about my poem? Sure, of course it's long. But what about when I wrote "A million is..." from the beginning of the poem to the end of the poem? Or maybe when I wrote things that sounds like a million of. Like bees. Or leaves. And also when I wrote "The..." 6 times. Now those three things I just listed down is exactly what Millions List Poem is about! The whole point of it is listing down things that look or sound like a million. The different lines that I've listed in this poem is a sentence. It also has capital letters and full stops. I've also used words that mean a lot of things. Here's the list of words that you could use for the Million list poem:

◦ Countless

◦ Endless

◦ Infinite

◦ Numerous

◦ Many

◦ Amount

◦ Number

These words as I said earlier means multiple or lots of things. I find this list helpful to make "wow" words for synonyms of "multiple".

Colour poem

Now, like for the Millions list poem, I want you to read the image to your left. (Color Poem) What do you notice about the format of the poem?
In case this image never gave anything away, a colour poem can follow the five senses. Like for example, green feels like a slimy frog. This author has used the word "slimy" to describe more what a frog feels like. 


These are rules you need to follow though:

1. Only make five lines in the entire poem
2. Each of the lines needs to be 1 out of 5 of your senses
3. Think of things that are the colour of your choice, but not like "a blue book". Books can come into different colours, so try to think of things that are more specific to your chosen colour.

Top Tip: Try to use more detailed words to add to your poem. Like, "Blue sounds like the ocean waves crashing against each other.

Thank you for reading this blog! I hope this will give you an idea on what poems you can write on your free time. Anyways, BYE!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First-Ever Triumphant Victory of Sophia Ysabel

SPECIAL Post Bulletin * Grading to 6th Kyu*