SPECIAL Post Bulletin * Grading to 6th Kyu*

Location: GKR Karate Johnsonville Prime

I stepped into the dojo as I grinned with embarrassment. My family and I were grading to (moving up to) green belt. The order of belts went like this; white, yellow, orange (which I currently was), green, blue, red, brown and black. But it wasn't going to be easy grading to these different coloured belts. The average person to become a black belt took 4-5 years! And currently, I was less than a year at karate. "Lining up!" one of the senseis (instructors) bellowed. "Hai!" the students grading shouted in response. 

Shouting "hai" was acknowledging senseis when they say instructions. It was also a way to show that you were listening. If you didn't shout, you would need to do a certain amount of push-ups. I would say it was quite fair though. My heart was beating so fast, it could play the drums. We did some warm-ups as I jogged, jumped, stretched and shook my body to say "WAKE UP, SOPHIA! YOU'RE GRADING TO GREEN BELT, SNAP OUT OF IT!" Then the real challenge began. We did our Kata (a series of karate moves), kicks, and stances. I huffed and puffed as I knew that my sensei was watching very closely, looks that could kill. But seriously, he was a really nice and funny guy. This is a perfect example on how looks could be deceiving. Especially with senseis. Anyways, before I knew it, we were done. And I thought that was just the beginning.

Here are some photos from GKR Karate Region 21 Wellington, New Zealand Grading 09 June 2024.
Hope you enjoyed reading this special post!!










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First-Ever Triumphant Victory of Sophia Ysabel

Different Types of Poetry